Designed for middle-school students, "Intruders in Paradise" contains
12 classroom activities, web site references, a master vocabulary
list, 29 Fact Sheets about individual invasive plants and animals
commonly found in Florida, and additional resources - all as downloadable
web-based files. Activities are aligned with both FCAT learning benchmarks
and Sunshine State curriculum standards for grades 6-8.
The "Intruders in Paradise" guide was developed by the education staff of The Florida Aquarium with assistance and funding from the Tampa Bay Estuary Program, Florida Sea Grant and the UF/IFAS Cooperative Extension Service.
To view and download the guide, visit the Tampa Bay Estuary Program web site.
- Insects: Friend or Foe? (688KB pdf)
- Florida Insects Coloring Book - FDACS (1.34MB pdf)
- Florida Wildflowers Coloring Book - FDACS (839KB pdf)
- Spiders Coloring Book - Entomology and Nematology, UF/IFAS (8.16MB pdf)
IPM Made Easy Brochures: General IPM information appropriate for all ages
- All About Pests - C.A. Boyles and P. G. Koehler (969KB pdf)
- Cultural Practices to Manage Pests - C.A. Boyles and P. G. Koehler (589 KB pdf)
- Insect Management and Control in the Home Garden - F. Johnston and S. Webb (975KB pdf)
- Pest Management: Where to Start - C.A. Boyles (905KB pdf)
- Plants Protected from Pests - C.A. Boyles and P. G. Koehler (324KB pdf)
- Spraying Away Pests - C.A. Boyles, P. G. Koehler and R. W. Gleason (967KB pdf)
- The ABC's of IPM - C.A. Boyles, P. G. Koehler and R. K. Sprenkel (815KB pdf)
- Using Natual Enemies to Manage Pests - C.A. Boyles and P. G. Koehler (682KB pdf)
Other Teaching Materials for various age groups:
- Beneficial Arthropods: Predators - is a CD-ROM that contains a photographic gallery of 133 different images, including adults and immatures, of 37 beneficial arthropod species or groups - UF/IFAS - available at the IFAS Extension Bookstore.
- EPA Educational Resources for Teachers and Students - EPA
- EPA Publications from the Office of Pesticide Programs - EPA
- Educational Games for Teaching Biology - Dr. Pavan (48KB Word)
- Olimpiadas e Jogos Educativos (16.6MB PowerPoint)
- Educational Resources about Invasive Species for Teachers - USDA
- How to Make an Awesome Insect Collection - Purdue University
- Internet Resources for IPM Curriculum - MSU
- IPM Jump Start (Lesson Plan Book 1 for Elementary School Teachers (Grades 1-6) - Pennsylvania (474KB pdf)
- IPM for Kids - Penn State
- IPM for Teachers - Penn State